Bottom Line Ethics
27Sep/12148

The line

Line of students

The picture above looks innocuous enough. Students are often in line—waiting to get into an exam or a class, waiting for tickets to a football game, waiting for a bus. But this line was different. Without my knowledge, my TA emailed my class and told them she would have a get well card for my wife, who has been challenged with heart issues over the last few months. What you see is my TA’s snapshot of the 30-minute-long line that ensued.

These students are currently in my class. Except for one or two, I have only known them for four weeks, and I am still learning names and faces. They have never met my wife, and they know her only by her official title, The World’s Most Beautiful Woman. We have not mentored them or invested in them. In fact, I have not even given them an exam yet.

What you are seeing expressed is honor. Honor is why we blow Silver Taps every month to remember fallen Aggies and why we softly call the Muster. I saw it last Saturday night at Kyle Field, as the entire stadium rose to honor the oldest living Aggie. I saw it even more intensely as everyone rose to applaud for a small group of disabled veterans who were sitting in the end zone bleachers. And the crowd repeated it, section by section, as those veterans moved by on their way out of the stadium in the second half.

Honor, freely given, is a powerful antidote to cynicism. I have observed that one of the characteristics most frequently mocked by detractors of A&M is our unflagging optimism, even in the face of contradictory evidence. I teach professional skepticism to young auditors like the ones you see standing in this line, so it is easy for me to let skepticism devolve into cynicism. But the experiences of my life since coming to Texas A&M have changed me, and I think for the better.

I am looking harder to find the good in things, and I am reconsidering my views when they are not well-informed. I am sitting still more often and taking a step back, rather than immediately trying to solve everyone’s problems. When I receive criticism, it still hurts, but I am less likely to lash back at the critic, and more likely to consider how I should change.

I do not mean to imply that being here has fixed my character problems. (If you cut me off in traffic, I will probably still honk.) But it has undeniably made a difference in my life. These voluntary expressions of honor—by my TA in arranging a card, by my students standing in line—have made it impossible for me to just careen into being a grumpy old professor.

Today I am trying to figure out ways that I can do things better and make the classroom experience richer for my students.

I keep going back to that picture of the line. What do you see there? Boredom, texting, a smile or two, conversation. What do I see?

I see the reason I invest my life at Texas A&M.

Filed under: Texas A&M Leave a comment
Comments (148) Trackbacks (0)
  1. And this is why I love Texas A&M and our students! Amazing young people I am proud to send out into this uncertain world! Let us not forget, too, they did this for wonderful people who know how to do it right! I am blessed to know you, Mike!

2. I absolutely love that picture and what it represents. Great post 🙂

• AND…this is why there are NO FORMER AGGIES…only on-campus and off-campus Aggies. Once an Aggie, ALWAYS an Aggie!

• AND…there is no such things as an Ex. Aggie, nor even an Aggie Ex. We are all, have always been and will always be AGGIES. We are Former Students of the greatest University in this great country, USA!

3. you have truly fabulous students. and an even more truly fabulous TA. i know of what i speak, on both counts. 🙂

4. I love this picture and what it represents! Great post 🙂

5. No man is more deserving than you Dr. Shaub. I hope that my life can be a beacon of light for others as you have been.

6. I have also seen long lines of students over the years. They shuffled past my house by the drove. I used to live on the same street as Dr. Shaub.

Year after year you would invite the entire class over to your house and feed them a home cooked meal.
    You are the only professor that I have ever seen make such a personal investment in so many people.

I am not surprised by the outpouring of support that you have received.

7. These students know the gem they have in you as an instructor. They will never forget the value and blessing you brought to their lives.

8. I was in your class a few years ago and I am constantly telling current students to take it. You are a remarkable professor and I’m so glad other students see that. If I lived in College Staion I would have been there to sign the card.

I actually read this post on another blog first and knew Dr. Shaub must have written it from this sentence, “They have never met my wife, and they know her only by her official title, The World’s Most Beautiful Woman.” It’s true…that’s how I know her. Your family is in my prayers!

9. Awesome, quite literally. And there are thousands more of us spread throughout the world that wish we could have been there to show our support for you and TWMBW as well. It’s amazing – the powerful effect a professor and his wife can have by simply respecting each of their students, inviting the students into their home, and making an effort to get to know each and every one of them. These students were willing to wait 30+ minutes just to spend 5-10 seconds signing a card, and just to be one of dozens (if not hundreds) of names on the card, as a sign of respect and to honor you for everything that you and TWMBW not only do for your students, but the spirit you guys bring to Texas A&M and College Station as a whole. To this day, one of the most common subjects I talk to other former students about is the night that one of our professors and his wife invited his entire 50+ person class into their home, fed us all, and then just spent time in fellowship with us for the rest of the evening.

Still praying for you guys,
    -David

10. I am an AG and AG mom. This act of kindness shows you have earned your students’ respect…

11. Dr. Shaub,

I an old ag reading this as it was passed on. First and foremost, my prayers are with you and your wife. I pray for her healing and your peace. Secondly, I thank you for understanding what it is I love about our university and our Aggie family. You have expressed my thoughts with a clarity that I could not.

Thank you, GOD Bless you, and Gig ’em!

Brian ’98

12. Mike. Please accept a virtual signature from Sorin and myself on the card for your wife. We wish her the best of health. We have as much to learn from you as your students do, and are really lucky to have you as a colleague.

13. Dr. Shaub, you deserve it all. This picture not only speaks about how Aggies act, but it also shows the respect we all have for you. If all of your current and former students had the chance, I am sure we would all stand in line for hours to show our respect for you and The World’s Most Beautiful Woman. Though I can only speak for myself, I’m sure everyone would agree that you have impacted our lives in a positive way. You are both one-of-a-kind.

I hope that The World’s Most Beautiful Woman gets better. You are both in my prayers.
    -Kaytlyn Krafka ’12 (and a student of Shaub’s in Spring 2012)

14. As an Aggie and a teacher myself for 28 years, what a tribute to you as an educator. The relationship between teachers and their students is a sacred trust. Best wishes to you and to your wife for her coontinued improvement.

15. My daughter is a Freshman at A&M, we have heard so many wonderful things about the Aggie traditions, spirit, and honor but you brought it all together. Our sons and daughters are so fortunate. Blessings to you and your family, our thoughts and prayers sir.

16. Thank you for posting this. I’m reminded everyday how glad I am that my son will graduate from A&M. And our family’s thought and prayers are with yours.

17. Heartfelt words to accompany a poignant photo. I pray that the Most Beautiful Woman in the World heals completely and quickly.

18. Thanks for sharing such a touching story. It is being read all over the country! Memphis, TN

19. Line of students? No way. Line of Aggies!

20. Please accept my deepest apologies and may the spirit of Aggieland and all that it entails burn as a bright light in all hearts. Class of 2008 DVM, 1999 BS

21. I have come to know many Aggies in the 24 years I have lived in Texas. I recently made my first visit to College Station for the A&M/Florida game. Yes, I am a Gator, as is my husband. Wearing our orange and blue, we were approached by many Aggies who wanted to welcome us to their campus and football field. Our 16-year-old daughter was with us and she was amazed at the attitude of your students and alumni. Even after what must have been a disappointing loss, many Aggies wished us well as we left the stadium. Never have I witnessed such sportsmanship and class. I told my husband that it was the first and only time since my graduation from Florida that I have ever wished I was somethign other than a Gator. You have something special going on down there in College Station. So much so that my afore-mentioned daughter has placed A&M at the top of her college wish list. She would attend with our blessing.

• Elaine, if I can give the three of you a tour of the campus, just let me know. Linda and I know that choosing a college is a tough decision, but this is a special place. Let me know how I can help.

• Elaine, I was at the A&M/Florida game as well. I am an Aggie, class of ’85. I was thrilled to be at A&M’s first SEC game and hopeful that we would win. When we did not, I was not as disappointed as one would think… I knew that we had made an impression on the MANY Gator fans that were present! I was impressed with the Gator fans, as you were impressed by the Ags! I have been to many home games over the years, but I have never seen so many out-of-state fans before! I am honored that your daughter is considering A&M; our fine university would be honored to have her in our family. Dr. Shaub is a gem for offering you a tour of the campus!

22. Dr. Shaub,

May God Bless you and your wife.

Rick B. ’85
    El Paso, TX

23. We are the Aggies, the Aggies are we. God Bless and I’m praying for your wife Dr. Schaub!! Gig Em baby ♥

24. The Most Beautiful Woman in the World has blessed my life as much as you have blessed these students. You are both truly loved and there is no one who deserves this more than she does!

25. Prayers for your wife ~ and thank you so much for sharing this story. Gig ’em!

26. It’s the spirit of Aggieland! God bless you and may your beautiful wife feel all the good thoughts and prayers coming her way.
    Wife of an Aggie
    Mother of Aggies
    Grandmother of Aggies

27. Isn’t life simply amazing? One of the greatest lessons to be learned is that you get out in proportion to what you put it. You and your dear wife have obviously given in spades; now enjoy the returns. From our most trying times, we gain what is most valuable. To be loved by others is one of the most valuable things in this life. Blessings to you and TWMBW!

28. Thanks for sharing this story. My son is a freshman in the business school and I hope he gets you as a prof. I love that you call your wife the World’s Most Beautiful Woman and for me, that says it all. I am trying to get this whole Aggie thing and embrace it, and you sir, make that easy. Prayers to your family and you!

29. So proud of this school! Not an alumni, but my daughter attends. My heart swells at the sense of community. How blessed we are to have a school that promotes such values and professors who see the value in belonging to such a school! Dr. Shaub, best wishes for a speedy recovery for your wife!

30. This is why I am one of many proud Aggie Moms and proudest of all that my daughter is a Class of 2013 soon-to-be graduate! Whoop! Awesome job Ags!

31. Dr. Shaub,
    I don’t know you but I am class of 94 and currently teaching middle school. The support from your students is inspiring. Though many wont even remember me when they are adults, It is my desire that I have the kind of positive impact on their lives that you seem to project on your students! May God bless you richly as you have blessed many. Prayers for your wife’s complete physical healing!

• Kris, I have no doubt that you are having a significant impact every day in that middle school classroom. You have my respect and my support in prayer. And you will be surprised how many will remember you. When people ask me what I do, I get to say, “I teach.” Isn’t it amazing to get to say that, Kris? Thanks for the note.

32. Get well wishes to your wife Prof. Shaub!

33. Wonderful story. Another one of those things that we try to explain to others. I never had you as a professor, but you and your wife are in my prayers.

34. Impressive! My faith in youth has been renewed~by a bunch of Aggies! Well they are from a university IN Texas, so how could anyone expect anything less?

Best wishes on a speedy recovery to you and your wife.

\m/

35. Count in at least one reader from Michigan!

36. …. “but there’s a spirit that n’are be told…..”

Prof. Shaub, I think this photo and your words have come pretty close to capturing this spirit for those who don’t know / understand Texas A&M. Thanks for investing in your students and prayers for TWMBW’s healing.

37. Proud to be an Aggie by blood and association!

38. Emotional story! As a parent of a student at A&M, I find myself living the Aggie Spirit….appreciating their core values….and thanking God my daughter is a part of this incredible school. Best wishes to your wife and your family.

39. The Most Beautiful Woman in the World and you, Professor, are in prayers. We pray for a full and speedy healing for your wife. As parents, we feel very blessed to have such great educators investing themselves in our children. Obviously, your students see your dedication. We thank you.

40. This is exactly why I chose A&M many yrs ago! I have chills reading this and love the fact that Aggie Honor is still alive and well! Only the best wishes for your wife.
    Heather Strozewski
    Class of ’93

41. I was in your class in the Fall of 2006. You were one of the hardest professors that I had, but it was all worth it in the end. You really care about your students, and they can tell from day 1. Best wishes for your wife.

Cody McLaughlin ’07

42. I saw this on a friends FB page. I’m a Longhorn fan, but have many Aggie friends. This is trully amazing to see, though after reading others comments, it’s Aggies just being themselves. Hope your wife, the Worls’s Most Beautiful Woman, get’s well from her heart issues. You & your wife are extremely exceptional people from the comments I’ve read. May the Lord keep her safe.

43. Awesome post. Certainly makes me proud of these students.

Elton Abbott, College of Architecture ’83

• Elton,

I love this story so much (what a teacher Dr. Shaub must be!) and the comments are bringing me to tears again. But since you chimed in here, I want to “butt in” and add that you are a Dr. Shaub to me. Your encouragement and teaching skills made a huge difference in my College of Architecture experience. Thank YOU, too! I’m one grateful & blessed Aggie.

• Lauren, thanks for honoring Dr. Abbott. It’s great to see you and John Hardin (below) speaking into the lives or professors who impacted you.

44. As the parent of an Aggie, I am encouraged once again by the character I see in the very culture of A&M. So proud to be associated with the school even in such an indirect way, and thrilled that my daughter is being influenced by such positive peer pressure. Grateful for professors like you who hold the bar high by example, hoping she’ll be in your class to know you first hand. Praying for peace and complete healing for your beautiful wife and your whole family. Thank you for taking the time to share this story. Great students indeed, showing their gratitude through caring for a man who has obviously earned their love and respect.

45. One word comes to mind upon reading this post and seeing the accompanying photo: “WHOOP!”

It has been thirty years since I was a student at Texas A&M. I launched into my career before ever graduating, so I don’t have the coveted ring on my finger or the sheepskin on the wall. But I have the Aggie Spirit deep within my soul, and it makes my heart happy to see such outpouring of affection from young Aggies. It serves as a reminder that, no matter how bad things may seem, no matter the reasons for justified skepticism or even cynicism, there is always hope. Often it resides in those who are young and still have a healthy sense of optimism that has not yet been crushed by the realities of life. And often it resides in those who are older and wiser, and who care enough to invest their lives in the lives of those very young people.

God bless you, Dr. Shaub. God bless your students. And I pray for God’s blessing of renewed health for “The World’s Most Beautiful Woman”.

Keep inspiring young hearts and minds. You are touching the future and changing it for the better.

• Actually, Paul, the future is touching me, as you can tell. Thanks for your kind comment and for your prayers for my wife. It is a privilege for us to be here.

46. Dr. Shaub, I did not have the pleasure of being in your class, but as I read all of these comments I feel that I missed out on a great opportunity. Thank you for sharing this story of fellow Ags honoring you and your wife. It has reminded me once again of the Aggie Spirit that ne’er be told. I live in Idaho and no one here understands what it means to be an Aggie. I pray that God brings glory to His name by healing the Worlds Most Beautiful Woman and that He uses all of this to draw you both closer to each other and himself.
    ~Jennifer ’05

• Jennifer, I am praying the exact same thing. Thanks for shining the light brightly in Idaho! Would love to meet you if you ever make it home to Aggieland!

47. I hope this post finds your beautiful wife doing well! Thanks for sharing!!

48. Praying for The World’s Most Beautiful Woman and wishing I’d been able to take your class!! What an incredible blessing you are to your students. Thank you for sharing with the outside world this little slice of heaven that we call Aggieland.
    -Julie ’02

49. Dr. Shaub,

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I love seeing how Texas A&M comes together to help support its brethren. I loved being in your audit and ethics class. May the World’s Most Beautiful Woman make a complete and speedy recovery!!

Jared Breitkreutz
    Class of 2009

50. Dr. Shaub, you made a profound impact on my life during the short audit class I had with you and again in the ethics course. I am always very thankful to heave been so lucky to have been one of your students. I truly believe you are the reason I married such an amazing man. Ever since you told us of the Most Beautiful Woman in the World on our first day, I decided I would not settle until I found a man who would honor me that way. Thank you for your patience, respect, and true live for your students. Your wife and family are in my prayers.

Jennifer (Surratt) Anderson
    Class of 2008

• Jennifer, it’s great to hear from you, and it’s very kind of you to share that. I am so grateful to learn that your husband honors you in significant ways. He’s blessed to get to spend a lifetime with you.

51. Dr. Shaub,

I didn’t have the honor of being one of your students either (since I was a biology major in the College of Science) but seeing the picture above reminds me again of why we Aggies are a special breed. Our Aggie rings remain on our fingers long after we graduate and signify to the world we are part of an ever-growing Aggie Family…
    Best wishes on your wife’s recovery,
    Julie ’97

52. Dr. Shaub,

Your wife and family are in our prayers.
    (Not prying, but if you feel an update on her condition is appropriate it would be appreciated. We do genuinely care.)

I’m class of ’83 and had a prof my sophomore year (EDG) that embraced the Aggie Spirit better than any non-Ag I have ever met. He made me appreciate being an Aggie even more by pointing out how unique we are. As A&M grew, I didn’t know if the young Ags could keep the traditions and spirit we hold dear or if we would become just another university. Especially after the bonfire tragedy. My son-in-law ’08 and my daughter ’09 have as much Aggie Spirit as I ever had. I credit observations such as yours for fortifying the desire to remain unique and fostering the Aggie Spirit.

You are truly a “teacher”.

Thank you
    God Bless
    And Gig ’em

Clarence ’83

PS. I will try not to cut you off in traffic, but feel free to honk anyway.

53. Dr. Shaub,

Great story!! You were not around when I left there 30 years ago, so I hate that I never knew you. But… Dr. Ivan Schmedemann was made of the exact same cloth and I had he great privilege of having him as a professor and advisor.

TAMU is a very special place to spend your college years and that is why I ask every high school kid I meet in Birmingham, Alabama (my hometown) if they are considering Texas A&M. I am truly excited that we have joined the SEC Conference, not only because of having our team closer to my world, but because the people here in the SEC will learn what great people our school has as students and graduates. Thank you for sharing your blog with all of us and may God Bless you and your wife!!

• John, thanks for honoring Dr. Schmedemann. It’s very encouraging to me to see people remembering those who have influenced them.

54. It makes me proud to be an Aggie Mom with students attending this fine University! You are definitely making a difference to the students that you encounter as well as leaving a legacy for other to follow! Hope that I can have one of my daughters tell me about a professor like you really soon! Makes me want to advise them to seek you out and take one of your classes! Guess they are in the business school. What classes do you teach? What are you teaching Spring 2013?

• Thanks, Sandi. I teach Auditing (ACCT 407) in the fall and summer, and Accounting Ethics (ACCT 450/650) in the spring. Believe me, there are plenty of professors here who would love to invest in your daughters. But please tell them that my door is open to them–485H Wehner. 979-458-1375

55. Whoops and prayers for the awesome Shaub family!

56. Tissue alert! It’s a joy to have you walk through our office when you do!

57. I had the pleasure of being a student in your Audit class in 2008, and I must say it was truly an honor to learn from you. You embody the Aggie spirit as much as your students in line do. Thank you for sharing this story with the world.

Sending wishes for a speedy recovery for the World’s Most Beautiful Woman!

58. I become prouder and prouder of my school each and every day. Aggie Spirit is joyful, resilient and inspiring. I love my school and fellow Aggies for exactly what these students are doing. Dr. Shaub thank you so much for seeing this and writing about it. God Bless you and your wife.

59. From Las Vegas – what a terrific testimony to the Aggie spirit, thanks, Dr. Shaub, for posting it. We’ll be a second generation Aggie family before long – number 1 daughter is on the way to College Station in a few weeks and I couldn’t be happier. She would sure be in that line!

60. Dr. Shaub,
    I was just thinking about you and how you welcomed my daughter Hannah and me during her orientation. You taught my daughter Jeni Cutbirth and niece Heather Matlock. Then today I received an email with a link to your blog. I have already lifted up prayers for The World’s Most Beautiful Woman that the grace and wisdom of the Holy Spirit will surround everyone taking care of her. Praying God’s love and peace carries her, you and all your family through this time. God bless~ dana ’80

• Dana, clearly you’re the one invested in A&M, not me! Thanks for sending all those girls my way. It has been a privilege to be around them. (I know you didn’t technicallly send Heather, but I’m giving you credit anyway. Hope to see you soon.

• Actually, I will take credit for sending Heather! When she was accepted into the PPA program, I told her not to worry about what professors she had in her classes except for ACCT 407 where she of course had to have you, the most caring, thoughtful teacher at “Wehner High.” You are truly something special, and just as we all prayed for your son’s eyes, we are now doing the same for your wife’s heart!

61. Dr. Shaub,
    I would like to thank you for this incredible article about Honor and Tradition. Before I walked our young wounded Marines around the field, I prepped them for what I was hoping would take place and told all of them to enjoy the moment. For you see most of those young men came directly from the battlefield to the Hospital in an “Induced Coma” so they were not able to experience a “Welcome Home”. That night was their “Welcome Home” and all of us at Combat Marine Outdoors would like to thank every Patriotic American who rose to welcome them back. Our goal at CMO is to help rehabilitate our Nation’s Wounded Heroes and try to get them back to a normal life that they use to enjoy before their devestating injury. Please visit the smiles in the photos on our web site as well as the photos from that wonderful night at Kyle Field. God Bless all of you and Texas A&M.
    Semper Fidelis
    Rusty Hicks
    President & Exec. Director
    Combat Marine Outdoors
    rusty@combatmarineoutdoors.org
    http://www.combatmarineoutdoors.org

• Well done, Rusty. And “welcome home” to all our brave Marines. We at Texas A&M hope that you will always consider this place home.

62. Dr Shaub:

Thank you for expressing your vision of the emotion of Texas A&M. As a member of the Class of ’61, I was in the student body of a rather small, unsophisticated college which fortunately for me had an excellent school of archtitecture. I followed my dad, Class of ’21 in architecture, but was never told I had to attend A&M. This was Earl Rudder’s time to project this college into a university of and for the future.

Occasionally returning through the years, I have been amazed at the physical and institutional growth. However, the biggest impact was in 2011 when I attended our 50 year reunion. Not only had the “new” A&M not lost its friendliness and politeness, it had indeed excelled in everything that was ever good about it. Whe we started our activities, including tours and events, there was a wonderful group of students escorting us. Early on, I suggested to some of the students that they were probably student employees trying to earn a little cash for a weekend, if not to make ends meet. I quickly was informed that “no, sir, we are all volunteers, and glad to do this for former students.” Where else can you find this.

I was in that transitional period of time when we were growing from that small kind-of military school into the infancy of a great university. My return trips have prompted me to say, when asked how was it and how is the school, that I know of nothing that has changed so much, but is so much the same.

Finally, I have gone through stages of responding to Aggie jokes: if you laugh, they will think we can take it; if I get angry, I hold it in: if I try to respond, they just pour another one on. But lately, my response has been to tell the joksters very politely that if they really knew anything about A&M, about its real credibility in the higher education community, in the employment of its grads, etc, they would know better than to be telling an offensive joke. They then feel a little embarrased. Of course, living in the city of LSU brings about much taunting.

Thank you for the article, but mostly thank you for being an obviously great professor who cares about his students. Nothing pleases my wife of 50 years and high school teacher for 40 years more than having someone come up to her and say: “Mrs Post, because of you I am now a math teacher, or an engineer, or whatever.” So I personally know how important you are to so many students, and I sincerely thank you.

63. Doesn’t surprise me that Aggies would express their concern over a Professor’s ailing wife. In 1967 or 68, when I was attending Aggieland, the students marched on the University’s Chancellor’s home- General Earl Rudder- to thank him for being a great man and leader. Muster, Silver Taps, and having been an Aggie since 1966 make me expect such conduct by Aggies.

Burt Mason 1970

64. It was the least we could do to show our support for a great professor and “The World’s Most Beautiful Woman”

65. Oh I love this picture and the post. I can recognize some of my peers and I guess it was last semester which sadly I was not in your class Dr. Shaub. But I can see how students respect you not only as a professor but also a friend who is around us and lead us to the right direction. I became a BIG fan of Aggie as soon as I came to the United States as a freshman just because I fell in love with the atmosphere of Aggieland and how Aggies behaved. Everyone is so proud of being an Aggie, with so much Aggie Spirit in deep heart, which is so inspiring and touched, and so am I! Everyone truly cares others as real friends and that is what I see the most on campus, love. And this love is truly amazing.

66. Dr. Shaub, I love this picture and what it represents. This is exactly why I fell in love with A&M. There is truly a spirit here that can never be told. We are all family here and we look out for one another. A&M takes pride in honoring our people. Aggies will take the time out of their lives to show their respect and honor to those they don’t know and may never know. I wasn’t in your class last semester but I can see why so many are willing to do this for you and your wife. You are a great professor and we all wish the best for you and “The World’s Most Beautiful Woman”. I am grateful for your dedication your students and to A&M and I know other students feel the same as I do. Thanks and Gig’ Em!

67. Texas A&M is not like any other university in this country, and other college students are not like Aggies. I figured this out before I was even a student here when I watched A&M football games on TV. The Aggies were standing and cheering with unbridled optimism even when they were trailing miserably, which back then they often were. Then the camera would scan the other side of the stadium, although the students clearly wanted their team to win, they just didn’t exude camaraderie and dedication like we do. There are over 40,000 students here and it feels like a neighborhood. We are happy to be here and feel a sense of loyalty to each other. But more than that, we are proud to be part of this university and realize that the privilege must honored.
    Most of the time I take what we have here for granted, but when I have visited friends at other campuses that are theoretically more prestigious schools with higher academic standards, and loftier reputations, I am reminded how lucky I am to be an Aggie. The students I met felt the need to tell everyone how smart and successful they were, and how much money they had or planned to have.
    I am happy that Aggies just don’t feel the need to do that. We are all successful because we got here, and by honoring each other and this university it is obvious we are smart. This is a good place to be and it will always be good to an Aggie.

68. This is such a compelling story, and the most compelling part of it is that it does not only represent the students in our classes, in May’s Business School, but our whole university. The story of A&M can be told in this picture. I think the most important word in your whole blog is the word honor. I would couple that word with respect, and then you have described our peers. Students here respect and honor others so much that they would give their time to send a note to someone who is in a rough spot, or send a note to the family of a fallen comrade. But looking in a smaller sense, you can see this attitude everyday around here. If I asked anyone for help with something around this campus, and I mean anyone, I feel as if they would put forth their best effort to help me, and if they couldn’t they would send me in the right direction. Now you have to be very confident to say something like this in the world we live in, where many others absolutely only look out for their own self interest. We all have our differences, whether it be in our opinions, strengths, or weaknesses, but in the end we all respect each other.

Some of us are graduating, and some of us are still here growing. We will all never forget what A&M gave to us. A&M has instilled a certain morality in us that cannot be replicated.

69. This picture shows what being an Aggie is all about. It is not about sports or anything like that. Being an Aggie is being there to help and show our support to others in the Aggie family. I was one of the people in this line. Our TA for the class (The Wise One) sent out an email telling us that Dr. Shaub’s wife was having some medical problems and that she would have a card for us to sign if we wished to after class and that she would present it to him later. I had never met Dr. Shaub’s wife but I went to sign the card anyways. Even though I had only know Dr. Shaub for a few weeks I already knew that he was one of my favorite professors, and I knew that what he and his family were going through. So after class I went to go sign the card and I saw this line of students. I had no idea what was going on till I saw the TA and she told me that it was the line to sign the card for Dr. Shaub. None of us knew the TA was taking pictures. None of us knew Dr. Shaub would recognize us for what we did. None of us knew how our act would travel around like it did and be seen by so many people. We just did it to show our support to our professor and his family. This picture really shows what being a true Aggie is all about.

70. Deciding to come to Texas A&M and investing my past four years here has undoubtedly been one of the best decisions I have ever made in my life. I have learned so much throughout my time at A&M: what school spirit truly means, how much there is to learn outside of the classroom, the diversity in personalities and beliefs, and much much more.
    I remember whenever Dr. Shaub read our Audit class last fall the thank you letter that The World’s Most Beautiful Woman wrote us, and trying not to tear up in class. The compassion and genuine investment that people have in one another at this university is unlike any other. Strangers are quick to offer a helping hand and offer a cheerful “Howdy” when you pass them on your way to class. There are many aspects of this University that set it apart from other campuses not only in Texas but around the globe. In my opinion, it always comes back to the people and their spirits– the spirit of Aggieland.

• I could not agree more, Laura!

I originally planned to go to school somewhere on the east coast. I ended up applying to A&M after I realized how far away I would be, and that trips home would be 2 hour plane rides. The first time I visited A&M, I really did fall in love. The people were so friendly and went out of their way to talk to me and make me feel at home. That spirit definitely stuck out to me and was something that I continued to remember as I visited other campuses. At the end of my “college tour,” I knew A&M would be my new home for the next 4 years.

Seeing the line to sign the card for the World’s Most Beautiful Woman only reaffirmed my love for this school. A&M is made up of people from all different walks of life but the one thing we have in common is being a part of the Aggie network. This humble, servant-hearted network is something that I will cherish and hope to live up to forever.

71. I am deeply affected by this blog. There are many nice and warm stories happen among us everyday. I am so proud to be an Aggie. I arrived in College Station in 2008, when my husband began his PhD study in A&M. Then in 2011, I became an Aggie. Both my husband and I really enjoy the life in A&M. A&M is our home in US. There are some similar stories happen to my husband and me, which really warmed our hearts. In our daily life, we only need to express our respect and wishes to our families, to our classmates, to our friends, to our professors, to the persons around us. Then our world will become a warm home for everyone. Be an Aggie, we need to remember all the spirit of A&M.

And to Dr. Shaub, you and your wife, the world’s most beautiful women, deserve all the respect and best wishes from us.

72. Every time I read this blog post I get the chills. That picture represents what Texas A&M is all about. I think we often forget though that it is the faculty and those leading this university that shape our culture. We follow those that are ahead of us, and this is why I chose to come to the university. To be apart of a culture that supports, loves, and cares for one another. I think that your word of honor was spot on. Students here were give up their time and their needs to honor someone else’s. That selfless attitude it what makes this university so special.

73. I took part of this last semester during our auditing class. I can see myself in the picture, standing there next to a buddy of mine. Looking back on it I realized that when I was waiting in line I did not fully grasp what I was doing. I mean, I did not know the full impact it would have on somebody. It seemed so simple and so easy that it would be silly of me not to wait and line and write on a card. Seeing how much it meant to Dr. Shaub and his wife really hit me after and still does now. If something so small done by a collectively large amount of people can have such an impact on one man and his wife, what could an average sized act of kindness do? What about a large one? I do not want to down play what we did or give off the idea that I did it just because it was easy. I knew it was a kind gesture, I felt right in doing it, and would like that to happen to me if the roles were reversed. It just shows how strong seemingly small acts can do to make a large difference.

• I completely agree Austin. I stood in this line last year and at the time it just seemed like an easy decision to make, but I don’t think I understood the full impact in the moment. This is what we do as Aggies, we help our family in any way we can. In this moment, the only thing we could do was to give support, prayers, and love. I think it is these small acts that make us who we are; whether it be from a place of kindness or anger, these small moments have profound impacts on our lives and the lives of those around us.

74. Texas aggies are not like other college students. I can see the spirit among us. That’s why I love this school so much. As an International exchange student, I haven’t been here for too long, only 4 months, but I deeply feel that I’m part of this school and I am an aggie as well. This school has its own culture. You don’t have to learn it, you just feel it. I’ve seen so many students from different universities but I’ve never seen anyone of them be so proud of their universities, no matter how excellent their colleges are, like aggies. Seeing this picture, I also see the reason why I fall in love with one place so fast and so deeply. I am leaving this summer, back to my home university to finish my senior year study. I hope that after one year I can stand right in front of Wehner and say:” I’m back.”

75. So inspiring! Honor is definitely key to this post and essential in one’s everyday life. This is one of the many reasons why I am so proud to call A&M my university; where I am getting a remarkable education, while learning the importance of respect and honor. This picture symbolizes how Aggies act, and the respect we have for you as a mentor. You spend great amounts of time trying to learn each individual personally (which I find truly amazing) and preparing for successful lessons in class. As you are impacting our lives, the least we can do for you is give back our respect. This post has reminded me that the simple things matter most, explained in this post as a simple message in a card.

Thanks again for your care and hard work as a professor. You’re inspiring and definitely appreciated!

“It’s the spirit of Aggieland”

76. It is often easy to forget that even small acts of kindness can go a long way. It doesn’t take much to make an impact on someone else, and that simply letting them know you’re thinking about them means more than we can often imagine. Just the other night my roommate came downstairs crying because our other roommate had put her favorite candy and an encouraging note on her desk before her big test. All it took was a packet of Starbursts and a “Good luck!” to bring her to tears. It is important we don’t let opportunities to let others now that we care about them pass us by! Our world will be a kinder, more loving place if take advantage of them.

“Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it.” -Hebrews 13:2

77. The Aggie community is definitely unlike any community I have been a part of. It makes me really think about how it started. The culture here at Texas A&M didn’t just happen; it was planned. Someone started it. Maybe, it was started by a small display of honor or, maybe, a big one. However, I think the real miracle is that it has been passed down. The hospitality that is present right now on this campus is not new; it has been handed to us through tradition and stories. I have faith that even with the new changes to our campus this spirit will never change. It is inspiring to see both professor and student showing the same honor to one another.

• I agree with what Michael said. Texas A&M is a place where a community is built and then carried all over the world. It never dies and contains never ending support. It is amazing to see the various support systems around the campus, in different cities and even in different countries. I know I have been approached multiple times outside of College Station, asking if I was an Aggie after spotting my ring. It is so great to be able to strike up a conversation with complete strangers over such a unique bond that Aggies share. I do not see this bond breaking and I pray that it continues to grow and strengthen. The picture above is truly amazing.

78. I absolutely love this post. It truly shows everything that Texas A&M Exemplifies, each and every value represented by our great University portrayed in your picture, in your words, in your story. I know many people who don’t or did not attend Texas A&M who mock our ’12th man’ mantra, our fight song, and literally every other thing we uphold to in attempt to undermine the excellence we so obviously uphold. This university has brought me so many opportunities. Whether in my academics, my social life, even my spiritual growth, I truly believe that I would not be the person I am today without my experiences at this great university. Beyond our own shortcomings, we, as Aggies, continue to exemplify integrity, selfless service, excellence, leadership, loyalty, and respect. I will stand proud of my university for the rest of my life, and I thank every single person who has impacted me in my journey. Aggies have a reputation of excellence in the professional world for a reason, and that is clearly reflected in this picture.

79. A&M definitely has a stronger sense of community compared to my undergraduate school. I feel very proud and lucky of being an aggie. It is amazing to read some elder aggies’ comments above.

I also agree that there is a line between skepticism and cynicism. Being skeptical doesn’t mean being negative. As aggies, we trust and have good faith in people, but no tolerance of others lying, cheating and stealing.

80. Before I came to A&M, I didn’t expect this school would be any different then others that I have attend to. But I was wrong. The traditions, the honor code, writting thank-you notes in almost every courses, things like what the photo showes seemed stupid and boring in the begining just unconsciously influenced me and turned me to a real Aggie. Now I could say I’m proud and honored to be a Aggie.

A couple days ago I saw a picture of an Aggile cluster event in Shanghai from renren.com(Chinese version of Facebook). Again, I was really impressed and touched by Aggies’ spirit. I feel like that spirit, besides education, is the best thing I’ve ever learned from this great university.

81. Dr. Shaub,

I think you are giving yourself far too little credit. While this line represents honor and community, it also represent the admiration and respect your students have for you as an individual and professor. No one enters into a line for fun. This line represents students’ choice to sacrifice their own time in order to give back to a professor they genuinely appreciate.

82. This makes me so beyond proud to be an Aggie! It is acts like this, the deep tradition and the overall comradery that reassures that choosing Texas A&M University was the best decision of my life.

83. I absolutely love that the students did this for your wife! You are such an amazing and interesting teacher that it doesn’t surprise me that these students would be willing to do this for you and her. Thank you for a great minimester! Hope to get you in another class as my professor!

84. People care. That’s why I love being an Aggie so much. We care about other Aggies; it doesn’t matter whether we’ve met before or not, where you’re from, what your life experience is, etc. We embrace that. We uphold that honor to respect others.

I remember being a part of this long line. When I received the email asking us if we could stay after class and sign this card, I immediately knew what I was doing after class. I didn’t have to think about it. This was going to make ‘the world’s most beautiful woman’ smile and feel loved. I knew that many others had the same intentions as I did. We are all united…because we all care.

85. Dr. Shaub,
    When I read this blog entry last semester, it brought me to tears. I love how this represents that little gestures in life can truly make someone’s day. This is a true testament of how great a professor you are. You always say in class that you are “not the best professor and not the worst professor.” But, I beg to differ. I think that everyone in your audit course and ethics course could hands down say you are definitely one of the best professors they’ve taken classes from. You deserved this. Everyone deserves this. I believe that everyone should strive to make at least one person’s day everyday. No matter what the specific act is. Whether it be paying for their meal, picking up some money they dropped on the floor, complimenting them, or sign a card for their loved one.

• Catherine,

I completely agree, and I still get chills when I see that picture! Last semester, I didn’t hesitate when Chelsea asked us to sign the card because it seemed like such a small gesture, but it is incredible how such a small action can leave such an impact. Dr. Shaub goes above and beyond for our classes every day, and this small act was the least I could do to repay him for his kindness and passion for teaching students.

86. This is the reason that many of us came to A&M. Aggies stick together through thick and thin. Throughout my years at Texas A&M, I have been to Muster every year and silver taps more times than I can count. I have never once known a single person that was being honored at either of those events. All I have known is that they were Aggies. I am certain that many of my peers have done the same things for the same reason. Why? Because we are Aggies, and that’s what we do.

Whether it is an Aggie, or the spouse of an Aggie professor who is going through a hard time, it has been instilled in our Aggie hearts to do everything we can to come together and show our love and support throughout the healing process. As it is your duty to support the World’s Most Beautiful Woman during her recovery, it is our duty to support our professor.

87. I am very grateful to have had the opportunity to be in your class for the second semester in a row now. I remember waiting in this line and signing the card. I believe this line is not only representative of A&M but also of how much you inspire your students Dr. Shaub. The ethical standards you demonstrate in your own life somehow transpire and affect everyone around you and this is true even in your audit class. As a student we hear all the time how we “should” act in our studies, relationships and in a broader context, our life; however, I personally usually just nod and say something such as “I know, I know”. But when a teacher like yourself not only preaches these lessons but also lives by them, it has a much greater impact. This picture proves that. Now I am not saying we signed this card as a duty because we “should” have, I am instead saying that this picture is a reflection of how someone such as yourself has impacted all of us and had made us want to have an impact in you and your family’s life.

As great of a teacher as you are, I think the best and most effective method of your teaching is not any of the powerpoints or notes that you provide us with, but instead the example that you guide us with and for that I am thankful.

88. I think that this picture says more about the man than it does about the class. I think that honor is something that is shown to others as much as it is demonstrated by people. I think the real test of honor for those students in the line would be whether they would be in the same line for a professor they did not particularly like. Just some food for thought.

89. I remember when I read this blog for the first time. The pastor of my church in Dallas re-blogged this post, and my pride of being an Aggie was strengthened immediately. Growing up a Missouri Tiger fan, I was very skeptical about coming to A&M. The traditions seemed foreign to me, I thought “Howdy” was just plain weird, and standing for an entire football game… not quite for me. I can say I have now been on both sides of the quote “From the outside looking in you don’t understand it, but from the inside looking out you can’t explain it.” I think this picture, though, and your post explain it very, very well. Although you did not attend A&M as a student, you exemplify what an Aggie is on every level. In your other post, “Can you teach ethics?”, you talk about how much of an impact people can have on your life, and that is how you are taught ethics. I hope you know that you, Dr. Shaub, have made a large impact on all of our lives, and especially with regards to our ethical decision making. You do not just teach from power points and a textbook. You teach from you heart, and you lead by example. We are lucky to have a professor who cares so much for our well-being once we enter into the professional world. We have such an invaluable resource in you. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for being the kind of professor in which we would all, without hesitation, wait in a long line to express our gratitude to you.

90. I champion cynicism. Even when it makes me squirm, I usually end up appreciating the way cynical views take me out of my comfort zone. The concept of cynicism, to me, illustrates the fact that the learning process never ceases. We can never naturally see all angles of an issue. Those aspects previously unseen must often be exposed. This exposure is usually accomplished by cynics.

With that said, honor must always balance the forces of cynicism. Yet honor is not to be confused with respect. Opinions vary, but I believe respect is inherent. Much like “innocent until proven guilty,” one should be “respected until respect is lost.” Honor, on the other hand, is earned. A reasonable person recognizes that disabled veterans paid a price most aren’t willing to forfeit, and they honor them. I am a lifelong fan and even graduate of the University of Texas, but I laud the overwhelmingly majority of Aggies that recognize when utmost honor is due to someone. Whether the people influence the culture or the culture influences the people, College Station is full of very decent people.

The genuineness that Dr. Shaub exudes from day 1 of class goes beyond what we see in most professors, though effective teachers and generous human beings they may be. Dr. Shaub cares, therefore he is honored.

91. “It’s a spirit can ne’er be told..it’s the spirit of Aggieland!” I agree with a lot of the earlier posts. A&M was not my first choice in school either; I wanted to go to a little school in Waco. I’ll be the first to admit that I didn’t really like it here the first couple of months, partly because I felt like I was lost in a big school. But going to my very first A&M football game, seeing the maroon and white t-shirts, and 12th man flags waving, it’s hard to turn it all down. The spirit and love for each Aggie is real here, as shown in this picture. When good things come by or sad things happen, we are always there to support one another. That is why the Aggie network is so strong. Everyone always asks me, “have you had Dr. Shaub yet? If not, you’ll have him for Ethics and you’ll love him!” I see what they mean now. Thank you for your hard work! The honor is all ours.

92. The relationship between Texas A&M University and my family begin my father’s exchange scholar experience. After his coming back to China, he encourage me going to TAMU graduate school someday. Luckily, I come here in my junior year as an exchange student and I finally understand why my father loves here so much, the reason is—-the people. All Aggies are united as one and we are like a big, international family contains people from all the countries. I never feel so proud as a student of any school before, but now, I bleed maroon.

In the former comments, I can see a word everywhere–the spirit. It’s not an empty slogan or school motto, but a real power that inspire all the Aggies. We consciously obey the Aggie code because we are Aggies, being an Aggie is the reason we do candid things.

I’m truly enjoying surrounded by such strong Aggie spirit around and I have to say–I’m totally in love with Aggieland. Hope one year latter, I can come back and continue my graduate school dream and wear Aggie ring on my hand in the future.

93. I wish I could have been part of this! It is not only about being an AGGIE. It is also about having a teacher that people respect and want to help his wife. I have not met Dr. Shaub’s wife, but the way the he talks about her makes me feel like she is the perfect wife and the “most beautiful woman”. I feel that they are luck to have each other and we are luck to have such an awesome teacher.

Aggieland is so much different than any other place I have ever seen. The spirit that comes from fellow aggies moves me and I love that I am part of it. Aggie Spirit is the reason I came here and the reason I am an aggie till I gie.

94. I love this post! I have already shared it with a few members of my family in attempt to explain the “Aggie spirit” to them. Today is my last day of class here at Texas A&M and as I read this blog it makes me so sad to leave such an amazing university. I have witnessed the support of the student body in times of trial and it is truly something extraordinary. “From the outside looking in you can’t understand it, from the inside looking out you can’t explain it”.

95. Although I did not have you as a teacher last semester, I am grateful to have you for ethics. You obviously go above and beyond for your students, which is why this picture does not surprise me. The fact that you even take the time to learn each student’s name says so much. This picture is such a great representation of the values that A&M embodies, which is why both of my sisters and myself had no hesitation choosing to attend this school. This picture is an excellent example of how the Aggie family always pulls together in a time of need. It is the things like this that make me so happy I still have another year left here.

96. Thank you for reminding me why I love my university so much! Our honor and respect for others is the character of an aggie. This is why I chose Texas A&M as my University.

97. Dr. Shaub

One semester later and I am still one of your students, only now I am being taught the value of ethics rather than the fundamentals of auditing. I remember when “the wise one” suggested the idea of a card for your wife last fall. Although we had only known you a short time, there was no question in our minds that this was something we desired to do for you.

Though I am new to your ethics class, you have inadvertently been teaching it to me for the past year. Yes, you could attribute this line to the Aggie spirit and all that A&M embodies, but that would be underestimating your own talent. You have an extraordinary ability to reach your students no matter what stage of life they are in. Professors like you enable A&M to foster the supportive environment that is seen above. When I look at this line, I see a group of students wanting to give back to an honorable and deserving professor. A professor who not only whole-heartedly invests in his students, but who impacts his students’ lives more than he knows. So in case we don’t say it enough, thank you Dr. Shaub!

98. This is amazing and I why I am proud to be an aggie! Being in a school likes this makes you want to be better when you see things like this happen. When I am on campus or doing anything that shows I am a member of the school I always try to behave in a way that brings a good name to the school. I want the good reputation we have to continue on and I hope that the other students here will all do the same.

99. I didn’t have you for audit, but I remember this day and this line. When I asked a friend what the line was for, I wasn’t the least bit shocked to see so many students in it. This is just one of the many reasons why I love being an Aggie. A&M is so much more than just a bunch students and professors. We are a family, and we watch out for each other. As one of your students now, I can see just how invested you are in all of your students. It’s apparent how passionate you are for each one of us. I have no doubt that if this same thing were to happen tomorrow, another line would form and it would be just as long. I recognize how much you care, and it only encourages me to be a better person. I’ve noticed that throughout this entire semester you have been thanking us. Thanking us for our participation in the lively discussions on Mondays, thanking us for participating to be EGA leaders, and thanking us for listening intently to our guest speakers. But really, it’s you who we should be thanking. So, thanks, Dr. Shaub, for everything you do!

100. Not only does this epitomize what it means to be an Aggie, I believe it shows just how much respect Dr. Shaub’s students have for him. Even though not many of us had even met “The Worlds Most Beautiful Woman,” we all knew what she meant to Dr. Shaub. I’m very grateful to have the opportunity to have a professor who can make such an impact on students lives, including my own.

101. I really love this post because it just goes to show the kindness of people. Like you said, they didn’t personally know your wife, but they were taking the time to sign a card and wait in line. This really does show how close of a family Aggies are and the effect that it has on numerous people when something bad happens. This is one of the many qualities I really love about being a student here at A&M. People here at A&M really care about one another and care about each others success in the future. I would also have to say that Texas A&M taught me to look at the good in things. After certain negative events happened in my life, I really began evaluating those events and realized that good could still come from it, and that maybe God had a better plan for me than I had for myself. It is this mentality that has allowed me not continue and persevere.

102. I remember this day clearly. I don’t believe any students saw this to be a hassle at all, especially knowing the cause it was going for. I’m also not so sure that students would do this for any professor. There’s always the other side of things – we students may have done something great, but we did it for someone whom we all really respect.

103. Dr. Shaub says this picture shows students, but it is merely a reflection of the incredible amount of passion an sincerity that Shaub radiates. Yes, the students had only been in class for 4 weeks, but it really only took a few moments in the room with Shaub to realize that he is a person worthy of care and respect. These students have lined up not because of duties or consequences, but because when you hear Shaub speak it reaches deeper than grades or school.

104. I really enjoyed this blog and it just reassures me that I am attending the best college there is. Texas A&M truly takes care of there own and always honors them in many ways. I attended my first Aggie Muster this past April to pay respect to my girlfriend’s father, along with another good friend of mines mother. It gave my chills to answer “here” for each of their parents as well as when large crowds answered the same for other fellow Aggies. But I think it speaks volumes about this amazing university that every year people get together to honor fellow Aggies that have passed away whom they may have been close to, indirectly connected to, or simply just because they attended A&M. It really goes to show that Texas A&M is truly one big family.

105. After reading this blog, I couldn’t feel more proud for my choice to come to A&M. I saw patience, care and respect in this picture. Although the line is long, no one seems in a rush. They are willingly to spend 30 minutes in line for a 1 minute blessings to someone they only heard of. I was an Aggie in my undergraduate, however, Aggies in A&M shows me what should be a real Aggie. The care and respect to someone they don’t know and the Aggie code make me feel the point of being a real Aggie. I will always carry the Aggie spirit in my future life.

Also, I feel lucky to be in Dr. Shaub’s class. I can feel his passion and care to the course and students. I appreciate the opportunity he gives us to hear extraordinary stories from speakers. I will never forget Helen Sharkey’s story, which reminds me to be careful in each step as an auditor.

106. The front page of any newspaper provides enough evidence to justify a cynical perspective on life. I stopped wearing my aggie ring for a while. Questions engulfed my mind, and ultimately, I couldn’t find a logical reason for Aggie altruism. A tough semester or two of questions and thoughts ensued. Whether spiritual, personal, social, or whatever it may be every Aggie has their own reason for the positivism that Aggies are known to live with. I don’t know if this quality is embedded in southern culture or if it started in College Station sometime between 1876 and now. However, after thinking back on the car bombs, shootings, and robberies that I’ve seen at different points in my life, I come to one conclusion. This world needs more Aggie minded people. I started wearing my Aggie ring again. I’m proud of the relentless positivism that it embodies. I’m thankful that professors like Dr. Shaub, are instilling this mindset in the newest members of the Aggie family.

107. While I did not take your audit class, I heard about this infamous line and was excited to learn that I would be taking your ethics class. I truly believe that there is no better university in the world than our own and I say this because I also believe we have the pleasure of learning from the best faculty in the world. You reap what you sow and I am not surprised to see such a long line.

Although I do not want to take away from the honor that is displayed in this incredible picture, but I find it interesting that it is more difficult for people to honor codes of ethics such as our honor code. I hope that one day the line to not tolerate unethical actions or decisions would grow closer to the length of the line of honor.

108. As soon as I finished reading this post I hurried downstairs to make my roommate read it. After talking for numerous hours to her about my ethics class each week, she told me last night that she really wished she could take this course and have Dr. Shaub as a professor. So when I read this post I knew she would love it and be able to see what an amazing professor you are. Well to my surprise she had already read the post last semester and had actually sent it to her mom to show her what a great university we go to. Not only does this post show how truly grateful I am to go to A&M, but it also shows what an impact you, Dr. Shaub, have on others. You say each day you are trying to figure out ways that you can do things better and make the classroom experience richer for your students. Well that picture should be the best representation to show you what a truly amazing impact you do have on your students.

109. When I see this picture, I don’t think “What an outstanding group of students”. I think “What an outstanding professor”. To make such an impact on students that this many people want to stand in a line to sign a card says so much about your character. I was one of the students in this line, and I can say that a man with such a strong moral compass and compassion for teaching contributes greatly not only to his students, but to the culture in the accounting department, business school, and Texas A&M as a whole.

110. I didn’t know it when I applied, but learning to uphold values like honor, respect, and integrity would become a central part of my education at Texas A&M. Whenever I hear stories of the Aggie family coming together for a purpose greater than themselves as individuals, I am reminded of all that makes this school so great. I am proud to say my little brother will be here next year, and I cannot think of a better environment for him to develop into the man of character I know he will become. As I race towards graduation, I find myself taking more time to reflect on my four years here and have become increasingly thankful to this university as a result. This school will always be close to my heart, and I owe a debt of gratitude to so many that have chosen to give back to this university. Thank you, Gig ’em, and God bless!

111. Texas A&M University has shaped me into the strong, confident, and passionate young woman I am today. If I chose to attend any other university in the country, I am positive I would not be half as wise, virtuous, or focused as I am now. Attending Texas A&M is an honor and it speaks volumes when companies specifically want Aggies to come work for them because of their associated and presumed moral standards. As a current student, I see acts of kindness like the one captured in the photo occurring regularly around campus. Aggies naturally assume a duty to inspire, give, help, comfort, and love fellow Aggies regardless of their background, culture, or upbringing. When I think about my four year in school, there are so many remarkable memories I’ve made with other fellow classmates and I feel blessed for such a wonderful opportunity. In this case, it’s not simply about signing your name on a card. It’s about the Aggie family wrapping their arms around Dr. Shaub and his wife and ensuring them that if they were to ever fall, we would be here tocatch them. Gig ’em!

112. This is the spirit of Texas A&M. As many others have said, this brought me to Texas A&M. Before I decided to come here, I used to hear about such things but now I see the Aggie spirit on display everyday. I looked at the picture and wasn’t surprised which felt weird. I should have felt surprised but didn’t because I see Aggies impacting each other’s lives in more and more ways everyday. Yes, honor is a core value instilled in our roots and I am very proud of the actions of my fellow Aggies.

113. This will probably be one of those moments I will always remember from college. I believe it truly represents the Aggie values, but I know it is not just due to the impact the students had, but also the impact the teacher had as well. I believed honor is something that should be earned more than deserved. However, after I came to Texas A&M the word honor began to take on a different meaning to me, because it truly does encompass the spirit of Aggieland.

114. There is a reason that Texas A&M students would gather like this. I know that I probably speak for each student you’ve taught when I say that you have impacted our lives in more ways than extensive auditing knowledge. As you mentioned, you invest your life here, and I am very thankful for that. The passion you bring to the classroom is appreciated, and I hope that more and more students have the opportunity to learn from you. We appreciate all you do, Dr. Shaub.

115. You reap what you sow, and this is a perfect demonstration of that! You pour so much genuine love, care and compassion into your students and their well being, and here is a perfect illustration of their wish for that to be reciprocated. Learning to be professionally skeptical is not synonymous with learning that people don’t have good hearts!

116. I remember your TA doing this for you last semester and it was such a great reminder of all the things I love about Texas A&M. I think at first glance, this looks like an ordinary picture. However, it is a true representation of the support and community present in this school. One of my favorite things about A&M is that no Aggie is considered a stranger–we support each other because of the unspoken bond that we share. I love the spirit present at A&M and I think it is something special that can’t be found anywhere else. I’m glad I was able to see this picture–it was a great reminder of why I’m so proud to be an Aggie!

117. Dr. Shaub,

I just took a shower and put on a clean collared shirt in preparation for a dinner you are hosting for your students at your home along with TWMBW. It is not something we students could reasonably ask for or expect of a professor, (especially one teaching upwards of 150 students) and yet in about an hour a mass of students will descend upon your home to be fed and to be listened to all because of your goodness. The thing I will treasure most about my time at this university, is its people’s unique desire and ability to care for and invest in one another.

“Honor, freely given, is a powerful antidote to cynicism.” Let us never forget.